Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies are fun and easy to make. Made with a spicy gingerbread dough, they are crisp around the edges and soft in the middle, and make the most perfect cut-out cookies!
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g brown sugar
- 125g molasses (regular or blackstrap work fine)
- 1 large egg ( 50g without the shell), at room temperature
- 400g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp allspice
- A few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, and molasses. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. This step can also be done in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the egg and mix well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Flour the top lightly and pat gently into a rectangle shape with your hands.
- Top with a second piece of parchment paper, and roll to a thickness of 0.25" / 6mm.
- Transfer the dough, still between the two pieces of parchment paper, to a sheet pan. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours to allow the dough to firm up, and up to three days ahead.
- When you are ready to bake the gingerbread cookies, preheat the oven to 325°f /165°c with a rack arranged in the middle of the oven. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper from the gingerbread dough. Cut out shapes of your choice using the cutters of your choice, and arrange on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little room for spreading and arranging by size if you are using multiple sizes of cutters - small cut out gingerbread cookies together and larger ones together etc.
- Once you have cut out your cookies, place the baking sheets with the cut out dough on them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Re-roll scraps of dough by pressing them together, flouring lightly, then rolling the dough out between two sheets of parchment again. Chill or freeze for 10-15 minutes before cutting out more cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, until they are set around the edges and just beginning to go golden. Different sized cookies may need more or less time depending on their size, so check after 12 minutes for doneness.
- Remove the gingerbread cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
If you only have salted butter, that is fine, just omit the salt from the recipe.
For more notes on making gingerbread dough, check out my post on how to make gingerbread cookie dough.
For decoration suggestions and a simple icing recipe, see my sugar cookie icing post.
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread cookies, easy gingerbread cookies